The Transport & Housing Bureau has proposed building a trunk road connecting the south apron of the former Kai Tak Airport to Cha Kwo Ling.
The new road will relieve traffic congestion for major road networks across central Kowloon and district road networks in eastern Kowloon. It will also cater to traffic demand from the Energising Kowloon East initiative, the Kai Tak Development, and the continued growth of Tseung Kwan O.
The general nature of the proposed works is as follows:—
(1) modification of the junctions of Wang Chiu Road and Kai Cheung Road, Wang Chiu
Road and Lam Hing Street, and Wang Chiu Road and Sheung Yee Road;
(2) construction of carriageway, footpath, and pedestrian crossing;
(3) permanent closure and conversion of sections of the existing carriageways into central
medians/traffic islands or pedestrian crossings;
(4) permanent closure and conversion of sections of the existing footpaths into carriageways
or pedestrian crossings;
(5) permanent closure and conversion of sections of the existing central medians/traffic
islands into carriageways or pedestrian crossings;
(6) temporary closure and reconstruction of sections of the existing carriageways, footpaths
and central medians/traffic islands; and
(7) ancillary works including drainage, utilities and landscaping works.