Jakarta plans $10bn waterfront airport

Jakarta plans $10bn waterfront airport

The project is expected to cost roughly $10 billion. It will also become the largest infrastructure development project under the government of President Joko Widodo since its inauguration in October 2014.

The facility will be built on reclaimed land about 15 km north of the existing Soekarno-Hatta International Airport, according to a draft plan from Indonesia’s state-run airport management company. Construction could begin in the next decade through a private-public partnership.

The plan involves establishing a joint venture to run the new airport, which would be 51% owned by Angkasa Pura II, the state-backed operator of Soekarno-Hatta, with private investors owning the remaining 49%. A more detailed financing scheme for the project has yet to be worked out.

The new airport will have two runways, a passenger terminal and a maintenance center for aircraft. A railway and highway are also under consideration to connect with Soekarno-Hatta, although details will be determined later.

This will be the first new airport around Jakarta since Soekarno-Hatta was opened in 1985. The two facilities are expected to have a combined capacity exceeding 100 million passengers per year, surpassing Singapore’s Changi Airport, currently the largest airport in Southeast Asia.

← 2 Japanese firms fined Y380 mil over maglev bid-rigging China’s growth dragged down by construction sector →

Comments are closed