Hong Kong harbour treatment works hit new milestone

Hong Kong harbour treatment works hit new milestone

The flow-turning process under Harbour Area Treatment Scheme Stage 2A started today to further improve Victoria Harbour’s water quality.

Speaking at a media briefing on the project, Director of Drainage Services Edwin Tong said: “The commencement of the flow-turning process is an important milestone for the scheme’s Stage 2A. It also marks the commissioning of the newly expanded Stonecutters Island Sewage Treatment Works.”

The process will progressively collect preliminarily-treated sewage and convey it to the newly expanded Stonecutters Island Sewage Treatment Works for chemically enhanced primary treatment.

Wan Chai East Preliminary Treatment Works will be the first plant to undergo the process, while the remaining seven preliminary treatment works on the northern and southwestern sides of Hong Kong Island will complete the process by the end of November.

The facility that is cleaning up Victoria Harbour

The facility that is cleaning up Victoria Harbour

The Stonecutters Island Sewage Treatment Works Expansion is one of the major works under Stage 2A. The expanded plant will handle up to 2.45 million cubic metres of sewage a day, equivalent to the volume of 1,000 standard swimming pools, and serve more than 70% of the population.

“We will continue with the upgrading measures for the plant to further enhance the reliability and stability of the system. Various beautification and greening works will also be carried out. We expect to progressively complete the remaining works by early 2017,” Mr Tong said.

The scheme is the largest sewerage infrastructure project in Hong Kong. Facilities under Stage 1 were commissioned in 2001, providing treatment for 75% of the sewage generated from both sides of the harbour. Stage 2A will treat the remaining 25% of sewage which comes from the northern and southwestern sides of Hong Kong Island. The facilities are scheduled to enter full operation this year.

← New Lantau plans mooted Motts secures environmental role for Hong Kong airport expansion →

Comments are closed