The city’s Infrastructure Development Office (GDI) said it would strive to push the completion for the delayed reclamation project for new urban Zone A, which has previously seen sand supply disrupted due to the immersed tube tunnel construction of the Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macau Bridge.
The reclamation project for Zone A has missed the completion deadline originally set for the end of last year because of a disruption in sand supply, an issue that has to do with the on-going construction of the superbridge project, GDI explained to media in a statement published on Wednesday night.
“All the sand mining works in the upstream area of the construction of Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macau Bridge has been suspended because of the works for the immersed tube tunnel of the bridge,” said GDI, “And that has also affected the source area for the sand supply to Zone A.”
The sand supply for Zone A reclamation has been disrupted since February last year, but the supply is now finally resumed, according to the office. Upon Business Daily’s enquiry, GDI did not give a specific estimate for the completion timeframe for the reclamation of Zone A; but the office has pledged that it would strive to push for the completion of the project soon.
A dispatch published in the Official Gazette in late December has shown that the reclamation contract has been extended from 2015 to 2017. The contract cost the government MOP1.88 billion (US$235 million).
Of the five new urban zones to be reclaimed for Macau, totalling 350 hectares, Zone A is the biggest plot with 138 hectares designed to accommodate 28,000 public housing units and 4,000 private flats. The zone, which is across the waters of Areia Preta, will also be joined to the artificial island of Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macau Bridge.
HK-Zhuhai-Macau Bridge to blame for Zone A reclamation delay