Adhi Karya to Separate Unit in Charge of Monorail

Indonesia 08 Apr 2014

Airport operator PT Angkasa Pura II said on Thursday the construction of a railway network connecting Soekarno-Hatta International Airport and Jakarta city center will begin in May this year.

Adhi Karya, a state-owned construction company, is set to separate its monorail unit in a move that is meant to expedite the completion of Jakarta’s monorail project after shareholders have given their approval of the plan.

The State-Owned Enterprises Ministry had previously assigned Adhi Karya to work on the construction of the monorail project, said Pundjung Setya Brata, head of transportation, and it was now waiting for the communication and transportation ministry to issue the various permits before going ahead with the construction.

The monorail construction, he said, is expected to begin by April next year and services are expected to start running as early as 2018.

Adhi Karya has formed a consortium with a number of other state owned firms to work on the project including Industri Kereta Api, Lembaga Elektronika Negara, Jasa Marga and Telkom Indonesia.

The monorail project is estimated to cost Rp 8.2 trillion ($721 million) with 70 percent coming from bank loans and the remaining 30 percent from the consortium’s cash, according to Pundjung.

The monorail will have two lines. One line will start in Roxy, West Jakarta and will connect with Tebet, South Jakarta via Tanah Abang and Kuningan.

The second line will be a circular route connecting Setia Budi, Kuningan and Sudirman Central Business District.

Adhi Karya has also set its eyes on a further three routes catering to the eastern suburbs of Jakarta, namely East Bekasi-Cawang, Cibubur-Cawang and Cawang-Kuningan.

East Bekasi and Cibubur are heavily populated areas that have residents who make the commute into Jakarta and Adhi Karya is estimating the East Bekasi to Cawang line alone could carry as many as 120,000 passengers a day.

Read More

← Airport rail construction to start in May

Comments are closed